Sunday, February 8, 2009

sad deaths in berkeley

Yay! It's Sunday morning, and I am free as a bird and am craving some good yoga to close off my stressful last few weeks and to start off my week with. I go online to check the Sunday schedule at my favorite yoga studio, hyp, only to find that it closed down around the holidays in December, due to the economic downturn. Aw man.

So, I look up the schedule for another yoga studio in Berkeley and find one that I've passed by before, that has a class at the time I was hoping for. I drive over there, and it's a large room that's packed with people. Uh, no thanks - don't feel like paying $16 to get stressed out as I'm trying to position myself in various poses, crammed against other people, and neglected by the instructor.

So, I walk out and notice Elephant Pharmacy across the street. "Oh, this is the place where my friend has suggested we go to buy natural and environmentally-friendly make-up!" We never had a chance to go together and I never made the trip to go out before on my own, but since it was right there, I decided to walk on over. I get to the door. It looks closed, but the hours say 9am-8pm... And then I see the flyers.

"Elephant Pharmacy filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on February 3, 2009." That was just five days ago!

"It has been a special 6 years..."

Oh, this is just too sad.

2 comments:

Michael Dausch said...

very sad indeed

Unknown said...

I've been used to seeing Elephant daily for 3 years now, so it's hard to believe it is gone. Funny you mentioned yoga...at Elephant they used to sell bottled water supposedly 'infused' with that yoga noise "ohmmm." I suppose that is the first thing to go in a recession.