Sunday, November 16, 2008

smoky eyes

Every two weeks or so, my good girlfriend and I hang out. Our get-togethers usually start off with eating, talking about work, and planning to take a walk after dinner. As the night progresses, we're munching, farting, debating over Proposition 8, whining about pimples, discussing the nuances between "hotness" and "cuteness," and looking at websites on hair and make-up, convinced that if we just learned to do them right, our lives would be a little better. A favorite of our discussions is the "smoky eye" look. My friend is usually more up with these trends than I am. However, this is one area where I've gained an upper hand.

Once upon a time I was part of an indie rock band. It was a wonderful experience where I made some friends, learned about playing shows in the Bay Area, and most invaluable of all, I learned how to do smoky eye make-up. After one of our gigs, a well-meaning friend told me that I needed to look the part of "the girl" in the band - I needed to think about wearing knee-high boots, flashier clothes, and more makeup. Though I had always prided myself on my lack of interest in such matters, I rose to the challenge and decided to learn the "smoky eye" look that my good girlfriend had mentioned to me before. So where did I go? To YouTube, of course, a godsend for the makeup impaired. After about a night of research, I found a couple of good videos...and not so helpful videos that were nontheless...interesting.



Pay your respects to makeup guru, RiceBunny, both my and my girlfriend's #1 pick. I especially like the soothing music and text of her videos. I am also amazed by how she can maintain that calm smirk as she's just milli-millimeters away from poking her eye. (I usually blink in an agitated fashion and make strange contortions with my mouth.) And finally, here is my first (conservative) attempt at the smoky eye look for my former band's CD release show. There is hope...?

2 comments:

Michael Dausch said...

i woke up today not knowing what smoky eyes are. i go to bed...knowing.

carolyn said...

you're one step closer to true enlightenment, my friend.