Saturday, February 7, 2009

spend five minutes with me



What is this video about? It's about a lot of things, many of which I can't figure out, and am using this video as a tool to learn something about myself...and to just have fun with video. How I've missed doing this stuff!

The first bud of inspiration came from my bible study ("freeform") group on Psalms when the facilitator asked us "What do you do or how do you think God speaks to you?" A young woman in my group responded, "I know it sounds weird, but I look in the mirror." She then went on to explain that she could feel beautiful one moment, and disgusting in another, but somehow looking at the mirror grounded her and reminded her of God's view of her.

I liked her response. And it led me to want to observe myself. I hadn't been feeling too good about myself, and a thought occurred to me - what would I look like if I looked at myself from an external lens and not the internal, self-critical lens? Perhaps viewing myself through video could enable me to view myself the way others do...the mirror was still too subjective for me, but a video of myself seemed more detached and objective.

So for a week, I chronicled myself for at least five minutes every day (it usually turned out being more because I would forget about it) - without any agenda or script, but just being my mundane self. It was a bit enlightening, a little amusing, mostly boring, but oddly soothing. I won't share the details of what I've learned - that's for me only. But, I may share more clips later.

Also, I really missed being here in the last part of January. I was working some late nights and weekends in the office, and I felt a little lonely and disconnected from people. I really wanted to post this video earlier and feel connected in some way for a couple of minutes...but haven't had a chance to until now.

For those of you who need some comic relief from my oh-so-serious-"I'm being an artist" moment -- and i'm thoroughly enjoying it -- check this out.

*Oh, and I'm looking at condos in this clip.

4 comments:

Michael Dausch said...

you can't keep what you learned to yourself. what about being vulnerable and stuff??

nice orange shirt. and nice link at the end. definitely hilarious.

carolyn said...

oh, hehe. "vulnerability." that theme's been coming up a lot lately.

thank you. i know, isn't that clip the best? i think i have it memorized now.

Unknown said...

So, 3 things:

1) I totally would be unable to do this. I think if I knew the camera was recording, I wouldn't think my behavior could be truly authentic.

2)I noticed you move your cursor with your middle finger. After seeing it, I tried that on my track pad. Again, something I am totally unable to do, well, comfortably at least.

3) A condo?! That's exciting. Good luck with the house-hunt.

carolyn said...

thanks, matt. in some ways, i wish i were unable to videotape myself randomly - it could save me some embarrassment later on...haha. oh well...