Tuesday, November 4, 2008

proud for once

My Taiwanese heritage is something I usually like to forget. I avoid meeting Taiwanese-Americans my age since I assume they will be perfect-looking, high-achieving professionals or semi-geniuses around whom I'll feel like a loser. I've also grown to fear first-generation Taiwanese-American mothers. I've put my angst to use by making a film illustrating the sad effects of my Taiwanese-American upbringing, writing a play inspired by my mom, and even putting together a workshop exploring Asian/Asian-Am female stereotypes to further air out my self-hating tendencies. Yes, the number of issues I've harbored is just a tad disgusting...

So imagine my slight reluctance when my cousin Jon suggested that we check out the Taiwanese Film Festival at the University of San Francisco. Thankfully, the desire to see my cousin and my love for movies prevailed and I saw "Summer's Tail." I was pleasantly surprised by this coming of age story taking place in a suburb in southern Taiwan. I was also smitten by the leading actress, Enno (Cheng), who is not only an adorable singer/songwriter (whose music is featured in the movie), but is also the screenwriter of the film (as well as daughter of the director, Cheng Wen-Tang). Though I was envious of her talent and success at such a young age, she impressed me. I also enjoyed the understated direction of Cheng Wen-Tang, which produced believable chemistry between the characters in what appeared to be everyday situations, but in the context of adolescence, were dramatic moments.

Seeing the movie was a much-needed reminder that I relate better to present-day Taiwanese culture than to the values of my Taiwanese parents' of an earlier time. (So I’m not going to hold it against Taiwan for producing crazy Taiwanese people in America anymore.) Also, as an aspiring filmmaker, it was encouraging to see some Taiwanese artists out there that I could be inspired by.

Here's the trailer. (Like most movie trailers, it's a bit misleading, but it'll do...) If you have 10 minutes to spare, here's one of my favorite clips from the film.

No comments: