Sunday, December 21, 2008

just a little person



I just saw the film, "Synecdoche, New York," written and debut directed by Charlie Kaufman ("Being John Malcovich," "Adaptation," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind").

I really liked it.

After seeing it, it's been even harder to curb my developing soft spot for Charlie Kaufman over the years. (He's the bright and witty yet charismatically awkward classmate that I am really jealous of, but also have a crush on.) I have often identified myself with Kaufman as a thinker who uses art as a tool for understanding ourselves, re-telling or reframing our past and perception of the world with the elements of culture, personalities, film techniques, drama... except he does a lot better job than me and is kind of a genius.

In "Synecdoche," Kaufman masterfully talks to us about mortality, finding truth and significance in a massive fucked-up world, and working hard at your craft, in a tightly - yet light-handedly - woven collective of life-like characters anchored by the central main character, Caden, a New York suburb regional theater director. I was especially delighted by what I considered Kaufman's signature commentary on the protagonist's self-referencing journey through the dramatic theater process. In the past, I have been slightly annoyed by it, but here, I found it well-developed and enjoyable.

And I love the soundtrack of this film and can't stop playing "Little Person" composed by Jon Brion.

If you're feeling pensive or frail...or just in the mood for something Kaufman-esque, please give this movie a chance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You seem to see all the interesting movies I hear about but invariably end up missing. Good taste, C.